South Australia System Strength Assessment
- Commonwealth Government announces a National Energy Guarantee
- Australia's east coast gas supply remains tightly balanced
- AEMO advice to the Commonwealth government
- National Electricity Market remains tightly balanced
- 2017 Electricity Statement of Opportunities
September 18, 2017 - 11:32 AM
In the 2016 National Transmission Network Development Plan, AEMO identified a Network Support and Control Ancillary Services gap to provide system strength in South Australia, and stated that the gap would be confirmed in 2017 after more detailed analysis was completed.
AEMO has now conducted further power system studies to evaluate the adequacy of system strength for a range of operating conditions, including various levels of synchronous and non-synchronous generation, with normal operating conditions in South Australia.
This analysis has identified that a more complex arrangement of synchronous machines must remain online, to maintain sufficient system strength for various non-synchronous generation dispatch levels, as discussed in this report.