Media Statement - NSW Electricity supply demand update
- AEMO and ARENA looking to evolve traditional electricity market
- Consumers becoming smarter about energy use
- 2017 Electricity Forecasting Insights
- AEMO welcomes Federal government’s focus to reduce energy prices
- 2017 Electricity Statement of Opportunities for the WEM
- Holistic planning needed to meet modern grid challenges
February 10, 2017 - 7:30 PM
The Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) can confirm that tight supply conditions have subsided for today in both New South Wales (NSW) and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) following the evening peak in electricity demand.
AEMO can also confirm that residential load shedding was not required at any point throughout the day to maintain the supply/demand balance in NSW, predominantly due to reduced electricity consumption across the state.
AEMO commends those who proactively reduced their consumption, from industrial customers, to residential consumers. AEMO would also like to commend aluminium smelter Tomago for their cooperation in reducing a portion of their demand during the evening peak. These efforts enabled the power system to provide uninterrupted electricity supply to the region.
Hot temperatures continue to be forecast across eastern states, and AEMO reiterates the need to be mindful of individual electricity consumption.
For AEMO media enquiries, please contact:
AEMO media enquiries
0409 382 121
Please click here for a PDF version of this media release.