Media Statement - AEMO reaffirms position on energy security
- AEMO welcomes Federal government’s focus to reduce energy prices
- 2017 Electricity Statement of Opportunities for the WEM
- Holistic planning needed to meet modern grid challenges
- AEMO Energy Supply Outlook
- Rapid uptake of rooftop solar changing WEM paradigm
- 2017 Victorian Annual Planning Report (VAPR)
March 23, 2017 - 10:21 PM
In response to some media reports, AEMO confirms its previous advice that the closure of Hazelwood will not compromise the security of the Victoria electricity system nor the broader National Electricity Market (NEM) next summer.
As noted in earlier AEMO reports, there are power generation resources available in Victoria and the NEM that currently are not operating at all or to their full capacity that can be made available to replace the power currently supplied by Hazelwood.
AEMO's market analysis reveals these resources exceed the 1600 megawatts (MW) capacity of Hazelwood.
AEMO has the necessary authority to ensure the security of the system and over the next several months will work with market participants in gas and electricity markets to ensure all necessary plans are in place to secure summer reliability.
For AEMO media enquiries, please contact:
AEMO media enquiries
0409 382 121
Please click here for a PDF version of this media release.