Ancillary Services Parameters
In this section
In this section
- Ancillary Services Parameters
Ancillary Services Parameters
AEMO determines, procures, and schedules Ancillary Services in the WEM in accordance with the WEM Market Rules. The Economic Regulation Authority (ERA) is required to determine regulated prices for the following Ancillary Services:
- Load Rejection
- System Restart; and
- Spinning Reserve Services
To support the ERA’s determinations regarding these Ancillary Services, AEMO is required under the Market Rules to submit proposals to the ERA for the following Ancillary Service parameters:
- Margin_Peak and Margin_Off Peak parameters (Spinning Reserve Payment); and
- Ancillary Service Cost_LR parameters (Load Rejection and System Restart).
Spinning Reserve: Margin Peak And Margin Off-Peak Review
The Market Rules require the ERA to determine values for Margin Peak and Margin Off Peak (Margin Values) for each financial year in accordance with the methodology set out in clause 3.13.3A(a) of the Market Rules. Under clause 3.13.3A(a) of the Market Rules, AEMO must submit a proposal for these values to the ERA by 30 November each year for the following financial year.
Documents from previous Margin Values proposals are below.
Load Rejection And System Restart: Ancillary Service Cost_LR Review
The Market Rules require the ERA to determine values for the Cost_LR parameters (Load Rejection Reserve Service and System Restart Service parameter) for each Review Period in accordance with the methodology set out in clause 3.13.3B(a) of the Market Rules. Under clause 3.13.3B(a) of the Market Rules, AEMO must submit a proposal for these values to the ERA by 30 November each year for the following Review Period.
Documents from previous Cost_LR proposals are below.
2018 Reviews: Margin Values (2019-20) And Load Rejection Service Cost (2019-20 To 2021-21)
AEMO has engaged Ernst & Young, an independent consultant, to conduct modelling and provide an assessment of:
- the Margin Values for the 2019/20 financial year; and
- the Cost_LR parameters for the following Review Period (2019/20, 2020/21 and 2021/22 financial years).
AEMO will be consulting directly with Market Participants on the assumptions that will be used in the development of the proposals for these parameters. The following is the indicative schedule for the assumptions consultation process with Market Participants.
31 August 2018
Publication of 2018 WEM Modelling and Back Casting Report
Provides an overview of the model that will be used to simulate the WEM, including key inputs and outputs used. The report also outlines the results of the backcasting exercise.
14 September 2018
Publication of 2018 Draft Assumptions Report and start of consultation period
This report outlines the assumptions that will be used in the modelling.
There will be a two-week consultation period in which AEMO will accept formal submissions. During this period AEMO will approach individual market generators with their confidential assumptions and seek feedback on the technical and cost parameters for their plant. This will include (but may not be limited to):
- Minimum and maximum generation values (MW)
- Average heat rates at minimum, maximum generation output (GJ/MWh sent-out)
- Average heat rates for two data points between minimum and maximum generation values (GJ/MWh sent-out)
- Variable, operating and maintenance costs representing operation cost that varies with the level of generation output ($/MWh sent-out)
- Fixed, operating and maintenance costs representing operation cost that does not vary with the level of generation output (($/MW sent-out)
- Start-up costs ($ per start-up)
- Shut-down costs ($ per shut-down)
- Fuel price ($/GJ)
- Fuel transport cost ($/GJ)
- Forced Outage rate (%)
- Mean time to repair (hours)
- Planned maintenance days (hours)
AEMO invites interested stakeholders to make submissions by 5:00 PM AWST 26 September 2018. Submissions should:
- clearly address any issues that interested parties consider relevant to this review
- provide any supporting evidence or calculations (if appropriate).
AEMO is required by clause 10.5.1(q) of the Market Rules to make all submissions public. If confidential information is provided in a submission as supporting evidence, it must be clearly marked as confidential. Any confidential information will be excluded when the submission is made public.
AEMO prefers to receive submissions by email to email@example.com
18 September 2018
AEMO will host a workshop for Market Participants and other stakeholders where Ernst & Young will present on the 2018 WEM Modelling and Backcasting Report and 2018 Draft Assumptions Report.
Please RSVP by Friday 14 September 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
28 September 2018
Closure of consultation period
Deadline for formal submissions on the 2018 Draft Assumptions Report and comments on Market Participants' confidential assumptions.
All public reports for the Ancillary Service Parameter reviews are as follows:
2018 Review2017 Review
- Synergy: Ancillary Services Parameters Draft Assumptions Report - 19 December 2018 (127 KB, pdf)