System restart ancillary services guideline
In this section
In this section
- Ancillary services causer pays contribution factors
- Network support and control ancillary services procedures and guidelines
- System restart ancillary services guideline
- Market ancillary services specification and FCAS verification tool
- Regional benefit ancillary services procedure
- Frequency and time deviation monitoring
2017 SRAS Guideline
AEMO has made the ‘SRAS Guideline’ under clause 3.11.7 of the National Electricity Rules (NER), effective 15 December 2017. The SRAS Guideline also incorporates AEMO’s determination of electrical sub-network boundaries under NER clause 3.11.8.
The SRAS Guideline describes principles and processes designed to ensure AEMO procures SRAS that meet the system restart standard (set by the Reliability Panel) at the lowest cost. The Guideline includes technical, modelling, assessment and testing requirements for SRAS, a process for assessing individual and aggregate reliability of SRAS, and applicable procurement processes.
The current SRAS Guideline and associated information can be accessed below:
- SRAS Guideline (1.7 MB, pdf)
- Generator Modelling Data (115 KB, xls)
- Indicative form of SRAS Agreement (577 KB, pdf)
Generators interested in being assessed for future provision of SRAS should contact AEMO at SRAS2018@aemo.com.au
Current SRAS Procurement Information
A procurement process is currently under way for SRAS commencing from 1 July 2018. Invitations to tender (ITTs) were issued to identified potential SRAS Providers in December 2017, with a closing date of 29 January 2018.
- SRAS ITT 2018 (212 KB, docx)
- Schedule 4_2 SRAS Generator Modelling Data (204 KB, pdf)
- SRAS Agreement for ITT 2018 (141 KB, docx)
- SRAS ITT Addendum No 1 (415 KB, pdf)
2014 SRAS Guidelines
The 2014 SRAS Guidelines include the testing requirements applicable to SRAS contracts commencing 1 July 2015 and apply until 30 June 2018.
The 2014 SRAS Guidelines and schedules can be accessed below:
2015 Tender Completion
In June 2015 AEMO completed its tender process to acquire system restart ancillary services (SRAS) for the period from 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2018. This period may be extended for up to a further two years.
Independent Review of SRAS Process
An independent peer review of AEMO's SRAS process was carried out by international experts in 2015. The review report validated AEMO’s approach of modelling the various requirements in the process to acquire SRAS for the period from 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2018.
Modelling and Analysis Methodology
In the linked documents below, AEMO provides information about the power system modelling and study methodology applied to evaluate the expressions of interest (EOIs) received for the 2015 SRAS procurement work.